Wow. The past month has been a whirlwind. Not just academically, but also socially and emotionally. First of all, I want to apologize for going MIA for a while. But September has given me a real taste of adulthood. Balancing school, work, friends, and clubs has truly been a test for me. And although it might have been ugly and stressful – I’ve gotten through it. I’m ready to start fresh this month. New layout, new posts, and a new perspective.
On another note, I had the pleasure of attending the Women at Heart Conference recently and listen to the wonderful keynote speaker, Valorie Burton:
As a life coach, motivational speaker, and bestselling author, Burton’s success is undeniable. But what really drew me to her was her humility and genuine love for encouraging others. At the conference she spoke on her book “Get Unstuck, Be Unstoppable.” I felt like it was meant for me to hear her message that day. It has really helped me change my perspective. We’ve all been there before- at a point where we felt like we just couldn’t get out of this rut. So I thought her advice was something worth sharing with you all. 🙂
Valorie Burton’s 7 Things to Get Unstuck
- Picture the possibilities: visualizing success makes it more likely that you will succeed. Don’t be afraid to dream.
- Learn how to do things imperfectly: use your mistakes and failures as a learning tool.
- Reach out: no one can do it all alone. Lean on friends and family, and build substantial relationships with people who are going to push you. I’m grateful to have such uplifting friends who encourage me during times of stress.
- Put things into perspective: what things are in my control? What is not?
- Operate with Optimism: stop “catastrophizing” and thinking up crazy, irrationally bad situations (The pessimist in me has a bad habit of doing this). Instead think of the best case scenario.
- Serve: serving others is one of the most uplifting things you can do. It makes you remember what you have, and that all is not lost.
- Enjoy the journey: don’t forget to live in the moment! Let joy guide you, and figure out what exactly brings you happiness.
I am definitely far from perfect. I can get discouraged easily, but I am really trying to change the way that I think and look at things. Do y’all have any fresh new mindsets that you’re trying to incorporate into your life? Let me know in the comments below. Have a great week “getting unstuck.” 🙂
When life is sweet, say thank you and celebrate. And when life is bitter, say thank you and grow.